Launched by Maxwell motors, the first Chrysler cars were introduced to the public on January 5, 1924, at the New York Automobile Show.
Chrysler was founded by Walter Chrysler on June 6, 1925, when the Maxwell Motor Company (est. 1904) was re-organized into the Chrysler Corporation.
Following the introduction of the Chrysler, the Maxwell name was dropped after the 1925 model year. The Chrysler brand continues today under the formal name FCA US LLC.
The Chrysler Six was given the model name “B-70” to reflect its top speed of 70 mph, which was, at the time, high-end performance. But there was a big difference between the Chrysler Six and other vehicles with similar horsepower: price. The Chrysler Six cost significantly less while still providing leading engineering and luxury features.
Priced at $1,565 the Chrysler Six featured two significant innovations – a light, powerful, high-compression six-cylinder engine and the first use of four-wheel hydraulic brakes in a moderately priced vehicle. The well-equipped Chrysler Six also featured aluminum pistons, replaceable oil and air filters, full-pressure lubrication, tubular front axles, shock absorbers and indirect interior lighting. Other progressive features included a glazed instrument panel (instead of individual gauges), and wide seats with a large rear compartment. In short, the 1924 Chrysler was an immediate design and engineering icon.
Sources of infomation: Chrysler Archives